Monday, December 12, 2005

Smile. Say thank you.

The last few days, with all the amazing artists in town, have been strange and wonderful.

The Bugsplat Visitors Centre, weary of raffles and white elephants, did the catering for the Bugsplat Sculpture Walk's Residency Dinner on Friday, and the morning tea the following day.

It went really well. It was very hard work. I've been doing running errands, organising wine and cheese, dinner parties and morning teas. The menu for the main residency dinner had 14 items on it, There were two amazing cooks and three beautiful waitresses from Bugsplat, and it was a big success. And me, in charge. We made lots of money and everybody praised us. I'm a bit scared of praise. It feels so limiting. I don't know what to do with it. I was taught well though. Smile and say thank you. It's the wormy way it tunnels into me that I don't like, and the way I feel afterwards - pompous and distracted.

Now that all the artists have gone home I am a bit sad. One of my favourite Australian writers, Kim Scott, was here (in Bugsplat!!!) for days and days, and I really liked him in person. I was too busy to even listen to him talk, though we did have a couple of discussions with him about his dietary preferences and accomodation...

Petunia has been busy too. Maybe he'll write about it in his blog.
*poke*

Today I shall have coffee with Honey at the Chewitup Cafe in town, pay the Bugsplat Visitor Centre's phone bill with the money raised by the catering, and return the various spoons, forks, knives, ladles, tupperware containers, tableclothes, plates, soup bowls, bread plates and butter dishes to their various owners. Anybody missing a can opener?

2 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger Penn said...

I am exhausted just reading about these proceedings!!

Is it easier to get praise in writing? It sounds as though you did a fantasmical job!!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger emmajeans said...

mmm dinner parties.
mmm morning teas.
mmm coffee with Honey.
mmm ... er... missing can opener...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home