Monday, November 20, 2006

Light and Darkness.

We've just read 'Light and Darnkess' by Natsume Soseki.
God, it's so fantastic. I must have all his other books.
Now!

O'Nobu caused a great deal of dissent here at polly HQ!

While we were all admiring of her clarity of purpose and strength of will, Trouble felt that she was treated harshly by Soseki. I've (just jo) had a similar response to Anna Karenina - the feeling that Tolstoy treated her harshly - but as I explained to Trouble - Anna comes through ~anyway~ despite/even if Tolstoy judged her harshly - it doesn't matter because Anna transcends her writer and becomes herself with or without his approval and the reader connects directly to her.

The character Kobayashi was so vivid to me, I feel I've met him a hundred times.

And Mrs Yoshikawa IS the Duchess de Guermantes (in Proust).

2 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger Penn said...

Hi Sweet,

Missing you and Grey. Enjoying your blog. I loved the bit about swimming laps. I could see you doing that. My blog...a disaster. Short lived, like most of my projects (except Bazzy and Elly and Jack...they seem to be long term).

Ahh. I have spent the day in the garden. I have joined the diggers cliub.

Penn

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger emmajeans said...

I must read it.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home