Friday, May 20, 2005

It was the season of long sleeves.

I know it's boring to talk about technical problems in blogs, but my posts don't show up promptly. My most recent post is here, in the May archive, but it's not up at the front page yet. I find that mildly annoying.

Happy Birthday, Sis. Have a wonderful day!

I don't want to end up bitching and moaning about work too much either.
As my buddy working on Project Porkpie knows, it's just not okay to talk about some things that happen at work because they involve other people and pesky little things like confidentiality clauses. Suffice to say that in the ten years I've been away from the world of office politics, not much has changed.

It's amazing how familiar everybody is.
Sometimes I think there are only a hundred people in the whole world.


What has changed in the last ten years is polly politics.
We're much better at communicating with each other and we're kinder to each other.
I'm happy that we're doing this incredible (for us) thing.

The main people actually working, actually going to work and talking to people and managing the volunteers and files and meetings and all that, are a group of people who could not even speak clearly a few years ago and suffered from hearing problems (some still do, but it's they have strategies for dealing with that, and it's much better than it was) and facial paralysis. The Spasamatastics and The Spazmos, as they were, but they go by their collective name "dungeon" these days now that the two gangs are no longer at war.

We feel (Castle) that our decision that we may have to get sicker in order to get well is validated by recent events. When the Spazmos and the Spasamatastics first started coming into the body, it was profoundly humiliating for those of us foolish enough to have clung to notions of independance and ownership of the body. It is an extrordinary experience to allow "your" body to be occupied by people who aren't actually at home in it. Just because I'm multiple (well, actually "I" am Thea) doesn't mean that I don't feel it as an invasion. We went through this process in the early nineties with Calypso, and we had a great therapist to help us to do that, but Calypso is cute. She is kind. She had some problems with her eyesight and she's not the brightest crayon in the box but she is sweet, easy to please, and keen to please. (Not in the least homicidal either, which is always a plus.)

There was nothing cute about the Spazmos or the Spasamatastics, even after they declared their truce and stopped actively trying to conduct warfare using our body against our body in the shared delusion that the body was the other side and if only the body would DIE then victory will be ours! Even after they stopped trying to hurt us, they often hurt us by accident. It was the season of long sleeves for such a long time. And there were so many of them.
It was really tempting to keep them locked up in their dungeon.
But here they are, hard working little dungeonites, and I'm so proud of them.
Thea

3 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Polysemous said...

I know JustJo is there with them, working. I tend to stay away so that my abrasive personality doesn't disturb people, that's my contribution. :P (thea)

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger jinx said...

Thank you honey for the birthday wishes...I had a great day, only sadened by not seeing you guys and muma, papa, and leonie. I am so so so so happy for you all in your new found co-op and the job you now have together. I can only imagine how hard it would have been...i have a hard enough time deciding things for myself.. without having to co-operate with others aswell....you are a constant source of inspiration to me and I love you very much.
missing you always
xxx

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger emmajeans said...

Long sleeves are great. I love winter for that reason, amongst others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home